There are a LOT of free apps in the iTunes App Store — enough to keep a fella busy downloading and trying tons of new stuff each day! All in all, the App Store is a welcome addition to the iPhone life, even if syncing all those apps is a drawn out process each time you hook up.
Complaining aside, here’s the pick for Favorite Free iPhone App of the Day: Shazam!
Shazam bills themself as the ‘amazing music discovery engine,’ and I would say after just a few minutes of monkeying around with the app, that I concur. It is pretty amazing. According to the website, here are the key features and functionality of the application:
Already an industry standard, Shazam fully integrates with and complements the iPhone’s native environment, allowing you to seamlessly discover, buy and share tunes simply by holding your iPhone to music for just a few seconds.
- Tag music: identify music anywhere – whether it’s on the radio, TV, in a movie or in a store.
- Build your own soundtrack: see the list grow every time music is tagged.
- Get the music: go straight to iTunes to preview and buy.
- Music Videos: see related videos of the track on YouTube.
- Capture the moment: personalise the tag by taking a photo and adding it to ‘My Tags’.
- Share the moment: send track details to friends via email.
In initial run through, we were able to play and successfully track songs from Faith Hill, The Eagles, Norah Jones, The Go Go’s and even Tennessee Ernie Ford. Shazam provided links to iTunes tracks available for purchase, and videos on YouTube.
I don’t even want to know how the engine works, I just want to have this magic application continue to provide many more moments of amazement and wonder! Get it FREE, at the iTunes App Store.